Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Oh, Yeah, And...

I've been giving doctoral work some thought. I am going to go for it, although it looks like my official start date may be a ways off. I have to retake the GRE, since it's been over five years since I last took it (and thank goodness, because I really didn't do as well as I would have liked to the first time), and demonstrate a language proficiency.

The deadlines for two of my major contenders--MSU and UofM--are too close for me to cut it this year; besides, I'd like to keep my stress level to a minimum and only handle 2-3 major life changes per year. *snicker* BUT, this gives me a chance to work on the GRE thing--and actually study for it this time--and my language component. French is the obvious choice, because I've already studied it. I figure it would take me a semester to get back to where I was, fluency-wise, when I stopped, which was after the first semester of my freshman year. Mind you, I tested into the 300 level classes when I applied at Albion, so I was pretty good back then. I don't think it would take me too long to get back in the swing of things if I began studying it in earnest again.

To that end, I just applied at the local community college to see if I could start taking some French classes this summer. I'm kind of excited about that! I've always wanted to get back into learning foreign languages (I still want to learn Portuguese; when that brilliant day comes that I meet Roderigo Santoro, I want to be ready!).

And so, mile marker #1 accomplished!

3 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, Blogger LMB said...

Issa, hooray! You're writing in your blog again! I'm so excited. I'll be a constant reader. Love to you!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Kell said...

Tres bien! oui, oui! (That's the lions' share of the French I know - but good for you!)

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Brandi Reynolds said...

hey, issa-it's brandi (omgirl). Just wanted to say hi here and let you know I'll be linking you to my blog

:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home