Monday, October 29, 2007

All Good Things

THEATER

Well, the curtain closed on Macbeth this Saturday. I'm going to miss hanging out with those folks...we had a rocking cast party at my house after strike. A good time was had by all, I think. I played my new role in the show as well as I could have hoped, although I thought the first night (Friday) went better than the second. It was a privilege to play it, though, and even more so considering that our dear Mychelle finally got to come and see the show on Saturday! She looks about ready to burst, and I can't wait to hear that little Molly has finally arrived.

And, as usual, now that a show is over, I have developed selective amnesia and have completely forgotten what a colossal time commitment it was--time away from friends, family, and life in general--and I'm looking ahead to what other shows I might want to be in. Whole Art is doing Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and are apparently auditioning for it in December. I wasn't sure anyone would want to cast me, with my two-nights-a-week class commitment, but my buddy Trevor said I might be surprised. So who knows, I might have a go. I may also try out for Little Women (the musical) at the Civic in the spring. This might be a more feasible way to go, since my classes end not too long into the rehearsal process and then I'm off for the entire summer.

POETRY

I've been keeping up with my submissions life lately, sending off to Compass Rose and their Pat Parnell Poetry Prize, and MARGIE's "Strong Rx Medicine" poetry prize as well. I'm still waiting to hear back from several others. I'm hoping that the long waits to hear back indicates some sort of promise, especially for the chapbook competitions....if I'd been weeded out early on in the reviewing process, maybe I would have heard already. Perhaps I'm still in the running!

In the meantime, I'm really working on full-length book ideas and construction. What that really is going to entail is a whole lot of new material. I have ideas floating around in my head, but I'm just not able to staple them down yet. Now that the play's over (assuming I don't dive headlong into another one), I'll be able to devote more time and energy to it.

See, this is the problem when you have too many hobbies that you love, and which both entail great amounts of time and effort.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home