Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Insert Clever Title Here

POETRY
Last week I picked up a copy of Adam Clay's The Wash. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm intrigued. He's a local poet, and apparently this is his first book. There is something odd and clamorous about his writing...strange images, dreamlike but not always in a sweet, sentimental way...strange ways to punctuate and capitalize. Images of Lisa Chavez, my old undergrad poetry prof, danced in my head--she never was one for postmodern weirdness. Myself, I don't gravitate towards it, but when done well, it certainly gives me pause. Next time I post, I'll have more thoughts about it. After all, a book with a dead bird on the cover is certainly intriguing.

HEALTH
I began another 30 day-committment today. I'm tired of going nowhere with my health (particularly in the category of weight loss), so I'm punching it up a notch. Now that the play is almost over, it will be much easier to feel in control of my life. And certainly no more fast food. Ugh, I forgot how that stuff sits at the bottom of your stomach like cement.

I also signed up for a program called PUSH this month. For $25 a month, you get hooked up with a world-class trainer who makes DVD workouts for you monthly, based on your specifications. In the beginning, you give them all kinds of information about your current fitness level, your preferences for exercise, any old injuries you may have, and what workout equipment you already have in your home that you could use. Then they make it for you. It's pretty sweet, actually, although I'm struggling with using it. The timing, for one, was not good--I haven't seen my house by daylight in weeks, and one is not inclined to do cardio at 11:00 p.m. after being on the go all day (especially when one knows that an identical day is in store tomorrow). So I haven't given it my all so far this month, although this week I'm trying to. On your DVD, you get 2 training sessions with the trainer of your choice (mine is Bob Harper, otherwise known as Trainer Bob on The Biggest Loser), a cardio workout, and an "area of focus" workout, which you specify for them each month--abs, legs, arms, etc. I'm loving the cardio--I chose kickboxing this month, and it's awesome. I'm having a hard time mentally adapting to the training sessions, though. They're simple exercises, done with various pieces of equipment, and right now it feels like it's just not enough to make a difference. Although, honestly, you're talking to a girl who is used to The Firm and all its hardcore, kick-butt glory. I've got to find some kind of middle ground.

I also have seven more papers to grade. *sigh*

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Kell said...

Hey! Welcome back! It's nice to hear from you - and I'm going to look into PUSH - I need something too.

Just do what you can as much as you can - and hopefully - your schedule will open up a little.

I've decided that if I am to do anything, I'mm going to have to do it in the AM - or it'll never get done. Hello, 5 am!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home