Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Big Slacker

You see? I am a big slacker. I have not written here in nearly a month. I apologize to anyone who was waiting breathlessly for the next installment of my life. ;)

Actually for the last week I have been laid up with a cold--very irritating, particularly because it caused me to lose my voice. My voice is very closely linked to my ability to earn my keep, so that was frustrating. But all in all I guess I've fended it off relatively quickly and I'm almost back to normal. At least no one thinks they've gotten the wrong number when they call me anymore (I love you Sara Mangus!).

I can't believe how great the weather here is now. Last weekend I had the good fortune to have two appointments cancel on me (this was good, I needed the weekend to recover and fully get rid of this cold), so we had probably the best weekend we've had in ages. Ryan didn't have any plans either, so we did whatever around the house, cleaning and what not, and went over to a barbecue at Jon and Melissa's after spending the afternoon in a park (awwwwww), and just relaxed all Sunday at home. Ryan got to work on his writing, which was much needed, and I got to not work on anything, which was also much needed. I think I may go for a walk today since the weather has continued.

I'm also excited because--yay!--the Euphonics have a concert this week and I actually am able to go. It's a very weird feeling to go back to Albion these days--because I am sufficiently old enough that I don't know anybody anymore, so the only chances I have of running into someone I do know is if there are any professors wandering around. I likened it once to the place actually being haunted....like all my good memories there are in the past, and even though I'm in the same places where those memories were made, all the people involved are gone and so it's like an echo in my head of what used to be there. And there have been changes to the campus since I graduated, of course, so it looks somewhat different--it's still jarring! That big, honking admin building that looms over the quad--scary! I remember times in the summer, if I had a few weeks before school let back in after I got back from tour, I'd actually go to the campus just to be there....even though no one else was there.....I'd just go sit on the quad and feel at home. That's why homecoming will always have a special place in my heart. Because then all the people that you knew are BACK, and you're all in the same place again, and it's awesome. Zach Constan actually still teaches there as an adjunct, so back when there was a Palenske Hall (I have no idea what they're doing with all those buildings over there) he'd take us up to see his office and I got to check and see that yes, my name is still written on a men's bathroom wall on the second floor. ;) It was there for literally 2-3 years, I went back to check each time...don't they ever paint anything around there?

Anyhoo....in other news, Kevin and Aimee found a house they want to put an offer on. This is after physically, literally touring at least 30 others. The bonus is that it's just down the street from Jon and Melissa's, which will work out nicely for Ryan and me. We joke around that in a couple years when we're ready to buy a house, we'll start looking on that street first. LOL If only Geoff and Shawn didn't live in Climax, we could start our own little neighborhood. Yes, they live in Climax. Bah dum dum. On the other hand, my dad's made it VERY clear that he wishes we all lived closer together, and of course I do too....I just don't want to live in Lansing! I grew up there, it's really not a great place to live. Not compared to here. It's too much of a city, not enough community and certainly not a lot of culture to be had that I'm aware of. Maybe if you go into East Lansing and on MSU's campus. But Lansing proper--nah. There's talk that my bro and his family will be moving to the Lansing area perhaps, and if that happens I will be feeling very pressured to do the same....but I don't know. If I go on for my Ph.D. then that's a whole 'nuther story. They don't have low-residency Ph.D. programs that I'm aware of, so it will likely require a move.

OH! that reminds me. I also got accepted to Bennington College into their MFA program.....a little late there, boys! Well, actually not, they're operating on a regular school admissions schedule whereas NEC doesn't/didn't. But it's still a feather in my cap to be accepted, they're a pretty well-known school in the field. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home