Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Old Journals = Ripe Nostalgia

Do you ever go back and reread something you wrote a long time ago? I found one of my old journals, the one from a few years back that I wrote in between 2001 and 2003. In my journals, I usually don't chronicle events as much as just let my mind meander and THINK about the events. And it was like walking around, say in a mall, and noticing a reflection in a window or mirror and saying, "wow, look at that person! She/he looks really awesome!" and then realizing, it's you! Kind of the same equivalent. There were a lot of good lessons I learned over those years, and I'm glad I wrote them down, because of course by now they've been bumped to the back of my mind, and now they're back in the front, where arguably they should be all the time.

Of particular note were the sections I wrote when I had just started my job at the church.....June of 2001.....rar! I had quit a temp job elsewhere to take the permanent position the church was offering me. They had advertised it as a creative position. After working there for three and a half years, I still fail to see where the creativity bit came into play, unless you count finding creative ways to nicely tell people to shove it so that they won't notice. I went down there today--Teressa, my replacement, finally broke down and called me to come and fix the voice mail system--and noticed she was getting a little harried. A month or two ago she was fine, when I called to get insurance stuff squared away. Now it's a different story. She mentioned they'd been hassling her about the voice mail and (although she didn't say this, it was pretty clear) making her feel incompetent. I just knew exactly what she was going through. I started that job bright eyed and enthusiastic, and within six months I knew this wasn't what it was cracked up to be. I mean, if you look at what I wrote in my journal, I thought this was an awesome, unique place to work. Now I can't believe I stayed there so long.

I ran into Sarah Storbeck at Meijer's yesterday, which was nice. She seems very busy, but since she doesn't live far from me we exchanged phone numbers and hopefully we'll get together sometime soon. I'm under the impression she works a lot. So I guess this is like the week (or two) of running into/talking to people you haven't seen or talked to in a long time!

I was bummed on out Saturday that I didn't get to go see Cabaret at Albion, when I'd already gotten tickets. I got a migraine--great timing--and Aimee, who was going to go with me, has laryngitis or something--at any rate, she can't talk at all....so we just didn't go, and stayed in our respective homes and tried to entertain ourselves. I'd been looking forward to it all week too. My SAI girls were really wanting me to come. It's all they talked about when I visited the chapter in January.

And I am, of course, writing this when I should be on the phone booking appointments, but of course I'm slacking. It's too cold in here to concentrate! It's been snowing all day. Okay, if I get my work done I can finish that SNL Best of Christopher Walken DVD Kevin got us. That's my reward. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home