Friday, February 18, 2005

Financial Planning

So the guy last night was all right. It was REALLY funny, being as aware as I am now about different sales techniques, to mentally dissect his presentation and identify the different components of it. :) He wasn't bad, although he could use a little enthusiasm. You could also tell where he was getting uncomfortable using his baiting questions on his friends. I'd say Ryan handled them swimmingly, so no one got their feelings hurt. It's just that, with me, when I'm in a situation like that and trying to sell to someone I know well, you just have to throw those scripts and stuff out the window (actually, I try to throw them out the window all the time--they just aren't me, for the most part). You have to act like a normal person, as if all you were doing was telling them they "gotta" see this new movie that's come out, it's so great, blah blah blah.

I think I neglected to mention last post that I am selling Mary Kay for a living while in school. That would make the above paragraph make a little more sense, wouldn't it?

Got an email this week from school--a few of the other students just received HUGE prizes for their writing in this new award program that just began in 2004. How awesome is that!?! Like thousands of dollars in cash prizes. I'd workshopped with a couple of them during the residency last month and I must, say, well deserved. It's part of what makes me so excited to be a student at New England College. I'm surrounded by the most awesome, talented people.

Okay--back to writing. Dang paper. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home